Plans for Disability Awareness Month 2017 are well underway. Each year sponsors like you make our awareness month activities some of the best in the State of Indiana. This year we have even more engagement from the community, expanding some of our events, and reaching more and more of our citizens.
As always the City of Monticello is committed to being an accessible, responsive, community that welcomes and includes everyone. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) has become a useful tool in assuring that access changes are made and policies are developed to give people with all kinds of disabilities an equal opportunity to participate and benefit from community programs and activities.
Disability Awareness Month project elements and activities will include:
- Mayoral Proclamation
- New & enhanced partnerships with CDC, MUTPL (Library), All City Departments (Fire, Parks, Police, Street, Wastewater, & Water), Lafayette Spinners Wheelchair Basketball, Twin Lakes School Corp. (Athletic Dept., Special Needs), AKtion Club, Social Service Agencies, SOMA, and the TLHS JAG Students
- Multiple Story Hours and Library Display
- Art Contest/Banners/Display
- Public Service Announcements
- Recognition Awards & Ceremony
- "Behind the Curtain", inclusive performing arts theatrical production made possible by a generous grant from the White County Community Foundation
- We are seeking your financial support to provide these many activities and events. Your company/organization will be acknowledged at all events throughout March. If sponsoring a banner your company name &/or logo will be prominently displayed on the banner.
One of which, is the banners that are flown in downtown Monticello each year throughout March. Our Annual Art Contest provides the beautiful designs displayed on these banners. This contest has grown to 5 Classes with multiple divisions CDC Clients (Beginner, Intermediate, & Advanced), TLHS Adaptive Art Students, Council on Aging (Senior Division), TLHS Advocate Art, and new this year Monticello's Masters, an Open Class. These banners provide month long exposure while supporting and promoting awareness for the Americans with Disabilities Act in Monticello. Banners from 2013, 2014, 2015, & 2016 are also flown along the side streets throughout the month of March.
Advocate of the Year and Trailblazer Sponsorships
You may also sponsor our Advocate of the Year & Trailblazer of the Year Awards, these sponsorships are $60.00 each. As well as many other opportunities including our annual Lafayette Spinners Wheelchair BB event, our Social Services Fair, and Mile in My Shoes Day events.
Your donation may be made to:
City of Monticello, ADA
227 N Main St.,
Monticello IN 47960.
We would also encourage you to nominate someone in our community as our Advocate of the year and the Trailblazer of the year. I am attaching the nomination forms for your consideration, please return you nominations to me by February 10, 2017.
Advocate Nomination Form
Trailblazer Nomination Form